Ms. Donaldson's French blog

mardi, janvier 16, 2007

What about our RWKs?

Yeah, I know we teach a bunch who are, in general, a pretty priviledged group, but a lot of the facilities we have here don't necessarily match the demographic very well. I know that most of them have access to computers and the Internet at home, and they can get on-line here at school most of the time. However, there are plenty of kids around this country for whom it's a real challenge getting time on-line. Heck, it's even a problem for our RWKs!
What am I talking about here? I think it's GREAT to provide laptops for kids in remote and developing countries! What they'll be able to learn by having laptops provided to them will grow mindbogglingly. BUT, I would love to hear about very poor areas in the US that could benefit from this, like remotish rural areas and the inner city.

2 Comments:

Blogger bkitch said...

I agree. In addition I find is funny when people think I am crazy when I talk about the possibility of lap tops being on the school supply list. From what I have read they seem to be available for about $400 (which I would assume would be even a lower cost as we could get an educational discount). First of all, couldn't it replace all text books, or almost all? Second how much do other things cost? (like athletics) Are you telling me that the average family is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for purses, pants, athletic uniforms and fees, etc, but wouldn't buy into spending the money to enhance their child's education and success in a global and digital world?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Karl Fisch said...

I agree, but the problem in the U.S. really isn't the money, it's the will. As Negroponte said,

"The benefit to the United States is perhaps a wake-up call. The nation should just do it. We are not needed. When you spend $8,000-$10,000 per child, whether the laptop costs $150 or $400 is not meaningful."

Barb - I made a list a while back of all the things that many parents/students currently spend more on per month than a laptop would cost. So it's really not a question of money for most of our families, it's a question of priorities - and if we can convince them that these are an essential school supply in the 21st century.

8:49 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home